Mission and Core Values
The Skillman Foundation is committed to providing resources to improve the lives of Detroit children.
- Stewardship: The Skillman Foundation is committed to balancing the needs and opportunities of today with the needs and opportunities of tomorrow, to ensure that the Foundation continues as a resource for children in Detroit for as long as possible. The Foundation is committed to prudent and responsible use of charitable assets for charitable purposes as well as care of the Foundation’s reputation and standing in the community.
- Integrity: The Board and staff will be open and honest with one another, the community and Foundation grant partners. We will encourage the highest possible standards of conduct and ethics.
- Excellence: We strive for excellence in everything we do so that The Skillman Foundation is synonymous with quality and trustworthiness.
- Inclusiveness and Equal Opportunity: The Board and staff are committed to inclusiveness and equal opportunity within the Foundation as well as among its applicants and grant partners. Expanding equal opportunity for disadvantaged children is a critical element of this value.
- Service Delivery: The Foundation values grants and programs that will directly benefit children and young people in Detroit and the greater metropolitan area.
- Effectiveness: The Board and staff will identify unique and strategic opportunities to make a difference. They will evaluate their effectiveness and change strategies as necessary to achieve a greater effectiveness. Proven and validated models are preferred. The Foundation will take a long-term view and make long-term commitments as required for maximum effectiveness.
- Respect: The human worth of all individuals and children who are affected by the Foundation and its grant programs will be respected and protected.